Bookseller Spotlight: Anna from Columbus
Book Culture is powered by books, a love of reading, and our booksellers. Get to know the Book Culture on Columbus Children's Book Manager, Anna!
What is your role as a bookseller/manager/other for Book Culture?
I am the Children's Book manager at the Columbus store! Downstairs is my domain and I curate the books and toys!
How did you come to join the Book Culture family?
I have a background in children's books and my research told me that Book Culture has great children's sections, so here I am!
What are your areas of expertise?
I'm most excited by beautifully illustrated books, comics, and fantasy novels for kids and adults. Although I try to have a good general knowledge so I am ready with suggestions that will help the kids who come in asking for help.
What's your favorite part of working at a bookstore?
Sharing my favorite books with kids and parents is the best, if it's encouraging a passionate reader or finding something that sparks interest in the hesitant reader. We also get authors coming to our Saturday storytime to read their picturebooks, and it's great meeting them!
What are you currently reading?
I am in an awful in-between book slump that I'm working through. But! The kid's books that I'm excited about right now are a middle grade fantasy called Some Kind of Happiness by Legrand and a picturebook of animal metaphors called Strong as a Bear by Stangl.
What (if you have one) is your favorite book of all time? Why?
Moomin on the Riviera by Tove Jansson. It's goofy and funny. It's got a strong message and the comic version is beautifully illustrated.
Is there anything you're looking forward to the publication of? Why?
A good friend of mine, Melissa Castrillon, illustrated If I had a Little Dream it comes out in February with Simon & Schuster and I am so proud of her!
The photos are drawings of me by illustrator Emma Carlisle (first image) and by Keita Morimoto (second image).
Recent blog posts
- New Year, New Reads from Book Culture Selects
- Pre-order a signed copy of Eloisa James' new book, "Too Wilde to Wed"
- Winter with Book Culture Selects
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Columbus
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on 112th
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Broadway
- Get My Preservation Journal at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Haley's Staff Picks featured at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Sara's Review of The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone
- Book Culture LIC Staff Profile: Juan Patrick!