Book Culture LIC Staff Profile: Martine!
We have so many great booksllers excited to open Book Culture Long Island City! Get to know Martine in this blog post:
Martine Harrison - Bookseller
Bio: I'm a serial bookseller and recovering Russian major, who made her way to Book Culture after years of doing all things books in downtown Manhattan. I was born and raised in Texas, but after almost a decade of living in Brooklyn, I feel more New Yorker than transplant.
1) What is your role as a bookseller for Book Culture?
As a bookseller, I'll be assisting Book Culture LIC's customers with all their literary needs. Whether it's searching for books, ordering books, or providing detailed and fanatical recommendations, I'm excited for all this position will entail.
2) How did you come to join the Book Culture family?
I have worked in book retail for years, and heard about Book Culture's new location through the NYC bookseller grapevine.
3) What are your areas of expertise?
I'm a lover of fiction, first and foremost, and try to read across movements and genres. My experience reading nonfiction includes some queer and feminist theory, a smattering of 20th century Russian history, and some literary memoir.
4) What are you currently reading?
Riot Days by Maria Alyokhina.
5) What you're looking forward to most at Book Culture LIC?
I'm looking forward to working more closely with children's books than at any of my previous bookselling positions. I'm hoping Book Culture LIC's extensive children's department will help me expand and enrich my knowledge of and appreciation for children's literature.
For more updates on Book Culture LIC, click here to subscribe to our mailing list!
Recent blog posts
- Find out what Romance Book Club will be reading this month!
- Sara's Review of Her Body and Other Parties
- February Picks from Book Culture Selects
- New Year, New Reads from Book Culture Selects
- Pre-order a signed copy of Eloisa James' new book, "Too Wilde to Wed"
- Winter with Book Culture Selects
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Columbus
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on 112th
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Broadway
- Get My Preservation Journal at Book Culture on Columbus!