Book Culture LIC Staff Profile: Gabby!
In this blog post, get to know Gabby, who is excited to be a bookseller at Book Culture Long Island City!
Gabby Spear - Bookseller
Bio: I’m originally from Bentonville, Arkansas and went to college in Baltimore. I just started working at Book Culture this past August. In my spare time, I write poetry, volunteer at an immigrant community center, and participate in lots of community organizing in the city.
1) What is your role as a bookseller for Book Culture?
I’m usually working the register, assisting customers, shelving books, or prepping for the LIC location.
2) How did you come to join the Book Culture family?
I moved to NYC two years ago to work as a live-in nanny and happened to live down the street from Book Culture. I immediately fell in love with everything about the store and decided I needed to work there someday. I’m happy to finally be working here.
3) What are your areas of expertise?
I read a lot of books produced by radical presses such as Haymarket Press, Verso, and AK Press. I’m also obsessed with contemporary poetry. I’m convinced we are living in a golden age of poetry so I’m always excited to share my favorite poets with customers.
4) What are you currently reading?
I’m currently reading a new release book called An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon. The sci-fi narrative draws inspiration from Octavia Butler and the Afro-futurist tradition. I’m also reading Sam Sax’s new poetry book Madness.
5) What you're looking forward to most at Book Culture LIC?
I’m looking forward to helping out with children’s story-time! I’ve spent the past two years in New York working with kids and I’m happy to put my expertise to good use at LIC.
For more updates on Book Culture LIC, click here to subscribe to our mailing list!
Recent blog posts
- New Year, New Reads from Book Culture Selects
- Pre-order a signed copy of Eloisa James' new book, "Too Wilde to Wed"
- Winter with Book Culture Selects
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Columbus
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on 112th
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Broadway
- Get My Preservation Journal at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Haley's Staff Picks featured at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Sara's Review of The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone
- Book Culture LIC Staff Profile: Juan Patrick!