Sasha H. Matthews, a local 12 year old to the Upper West side, was on Steve Harvey’s Little Big Shots, where she showed the the comic she wrote about the star of the show. The comic is called The Life of Steve Harvey Starring Steve Harvey.
We are thrilled to have author Atticus Lish read and discuss his first novel, Preparation for the Next Life, at our Columbus store this Wednesday, December 10th, at 7pm. Lish will be joined in conversation with Lynn Lurie, author of Corner of the Dead, winner of the Juniper Prize for Fiction, and Quick Kills. Though both writers are based in New York City, critics have pointed out that their books read unlike any typical New York novel. In Dwight Garner’s rave review of Preparation for the Next Life in the New York Times, he admires Lish’s “intricate comprehension of, and deep feeling for, life at the margins.” And in Jesse Barron’s interview in BOMB Magazine, he writes, “It’s been a while since we had a great novel about being poor in New York where poor did not mean broke. The difference between the two conditions may be how reasonably you can hope they’ll change, and Atticus Lish’s Preparation for the Next Life is a book about people hoping to change their lives in a city that will not let them.”
Recent blog posts
- Book Culture on Columbus shows off Debut Novels
- Book Culture on Broadway: Summer Reads Display
- Q&A with Kathleen A. Flynn, author of The Jane Austen Project
- Dog Days with Book Culture Selects
- Q&A with Donna Grant, Author of The Legend
- Queer Book Club reads YA!
- Q&A with "Priestdaddy" author, Patricia Lockwood
- New from Book Culture Selects!
- Q&A with David MacNeal
- What We're Reading this Summer: Book Culture on Broadway