Women in Translation Month is coming to a close, but we have time for one more Q&A, with Kaiama Glover, whose translation of Marie Vieux-Chauvet's Dance on the Volcano was released earlier this year. She was kind enough to take the time to answer some questions for us about translation and her work.
Q & A
August in Women in Translation Month--a whole month dedicated to celebrating literature by women in translation! We started the month by talking about some of our favorite books by women in translation; on Friday we hosted a fantastic event with translators Susan Bernofsky, John Keene, Ann Goldstein, and Nathan Xavier Osorio. Next up we have Lina Meruane, an author we love, whose book Seeing Red was translated by Megan McDowell.
As part of our continuing series celebrating Women in Translation month, we bring you this interview with translator Margaret Carson. Carson specializes in Latin American and Spanish literature and has translated works by Sergio Chejfec, Mercedes Roffé, José Tomás de Cuéllar and Griselda Gambaro. She also runs the Women in Translation Tumblr. When she stopped into Book Culture the other day, we knew we had to ask her some questions about Women in Translation month and her work as a translator; here are her responses.
This month we've been talking, blogging, and tweeting about women in translation. We started with recommendations from the staff; next, we wanted to hear from the translators themselves! First up is Susan Bernofsky, the acclaimed translator of Robert Walser, Franz Kafka, Jenny Erpenbeck, and Yoko Tawada, among others, and the director of the Literary Translation program in the MFA Writing Program at Columbia University. Bernofsky was kind enough to answer some questions for us about Women in Translation month.
Recent blog posts
- New Year, New Reads from Book Culture Selects
- Pre-order a signed copy of Eloisa James' new book, "Too Wilde to Wed"
- Winter with Book Culture Selects
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Columbus
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on 112th
- Best 17 of 2017: Book Culture on Broadway
- Get My Preservation Journal at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Haley's Staff Picks featured at Book Culture on Columbus!
- Sara's Review of The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone
- Book Culture LIC Staff Profile: Juan Patrick!