Blind Date With A Book
Stumped on what to read next? Looking for a book that totally fits your vibe? Let us be your literary match makers!
Stop by any Book Culture location to check out our 'Blind Date with a Book' displays. You just might meet your perfect match. Not sure what we're talking about? Read on for an FAQ.
What is 'Blind Date with a Book'?
We wrap a book in brown paper, and paste on a bullet-pointed "dating profile" indicating some key features you can match to your taste.
Can I buy a 'Blind Date' book online?
Yes! Browse our list below!!!!!
How do I know which book is inside?
You don't! That's the fun. You'll just have to read it and find out. ;-)
What if it turns out I already own the book... or just plain hate it?
Not a match?--No problem! So long as the book is in new condition and you have your receipt, we'll be happy to exchange the book for something else or issue a refund for store credit.
Ok, but seriously, what books are they?
:) :) :)
- Black Mirror
- The slow deterioration of all your faith in humanity
- Familial melodrama
- Navigations of gender and racial stereotyping
- Joan Didion,
- Valley of the Dolls
- Hazy evocations of something between high glamour and deep ennui
- A Separate Peace
- Never Let Me Go
- That one really good notebook you can't get rid of
- Body positivity
- Memoir as a means of processing trauma
- Complete candor
- Gothic supernatural
- Sensuous surrealism
- Human-animal transformations
- The original Grimm's Faitytales,
- Reading by flashlight under your blankets
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin
- Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
- A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
- The bittersweet existentialist rage of Keira Knightley in Never Let Me Go
- Revisionist history
- Monster stories
- Anglo-saxon beef cakes
- Ottessa Moshfegh
- Franz Kafka
- I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Book or Movie!)
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake
- Making car sounds
- Taxi Driver (1976)
- Night on Earth (1991)
- Naked Lunch by Burroughs
- The art of Francis Bacon
- Body Horror
- Books by Sharon Creech
- Books by Jerry Spinelli
- Books by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
- The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector
- Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
- Clubbing until the sun comes up
- New York lit
- Diaspora lit
- Meditations on art and philosophy