Authors with Animals
Writers tend to be notorious loners while they're working on a project, but if they need an uncritical mind to bounce ideas off of, who better than a pet? Brighten your day and procrastinate a little with these adorable authors and their animals!
Beatrix Potter with her dog AND a "Peter" rabbit!
"This is a fierce bad rabbit;
look at his savage whiskers,
and his claws and his turned-up tail."
―Beatrix Potter, The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
Has anyone ever looked as good with a cat as William S. Burroughs?
“A cat's rage is beautiful, burning with pure cat flame, all its hair standing up and crackling blue sparks, eyes blazing and sputtering.”
― William S. Burroughs, The Cat Inside
Stephen King: The ultimate Transformation Tuesday?
"They're animals alright, but why are you so goddam sure that makes us human beings?"
― Stephen King, The Long Walk
Haruki Murakami and his camera shy kitty.
"Holding this soft, small living creature in my lap this way, though and seeing how it slept with complete trust in me, I felt a warm rush in my chest. I put my hand on the cat's chest and felt his heart beating. The pulse was faint and fast, but his heart, like mine, was ticking off the time allotted to his small body with all the restless earnestness of my own."
Haruki Murakami, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Rachel Carson and her cat.
"Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is--whether its victim is human or animal--we cannot expect things to be much better in this world."
Edith Wharton with her dogs/fashion accesories.
"My little dog--a heartbeat at my feet."
Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas with a beautiful pup.
"I am because my little dog knows me."
Amy Tan with her furry friend.
"I am like a falling star who has finally found her place next to another in a lovely constellation, where we will sparkle in the heavens forever."
Amy Tan, The Hundred Secret Senses (She's ~probably~ not talking about her dog here, but let's just assume this is how she feels about him)
More to come!
Recent blog posts
- German Story Time at Broadway is Back!
- Pre-order a signed copy of S. A. Chakraborty's new book, "The Kingdom of Copper"
- Changing, Adjusting, Expanding: Conversation On The Art Of Translation With Author & Translator Kate Briggs
- Q&A with translator Ellen Cassedy
- #WiTM Spotlight with Lynne Sharon Schwartz
- Perfect Books for Your Brewery Crawl!
- August is Women in Translation Month!
- Author Q&A with Michiko Kakutani
- Order your Signed Copy of Eloisa James's Born to be Wilde!
- Kids Books To Celebrate LGBTQ Pride