Picture Books for Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
By Jane Bahk (author) and Felicia Hoshino (illustrator)
Juna and Hector love to play in the park, finding rocks, sticks, and critters to put in Juna's kimchi jar. When Hector moves away without saying goodbye, Juna goes on a magical adventure to look for him.
By Myrna J. De La Paz (retold by) and Youshan Tang (illustrator)
Myrna De La Paz beautifully retells the story of Abadeha, the Phillipine Cinderella. Abadeha's cruel step-mother mistreats her, making her work all day long and even cooking her beloved pet chicken. With a little help from the Spirit of the Forest, Abadeha is able to avoid her stepmother's wrath and marry the son of the island's chief.
By Sanjay Patel (author and illustrator) and Emily Haynes (author)
Pixar animator Sanjay Patel's vibrant illustrations accompany this lively tale of the Hindu god Ganesha. Ganesha may have the head of an elephant and ride around on a magical mouse, but just like other children, he loves sweets. When he breaks his tooth on a rock-hard laddoo, he's terribly upset. That is, until the poet Vyasa shows him a use for his broken tooth.
By Ina R. Friedman (author) and Allen Say (Illustrator)
"At our house, some days we eat with chopsticks and some days we eat with knives and forks," says a little girl. She tells us the story of her parents, John and Aiko, who meet when John is stationed in Yokohama. John and Aiko love to walk and talk, but he is afraid to ask her to dinner because he doesn't know how to use chopsticks. She too is afraid, because she doesn't know how to use a knife and fork. John and Aiko each decide to surprise each other by learning the other's way of eating. Acclaimed illustrator Allen Say, who grew up on Yokohama, brilliantly captures the ambiance of the city and provides the perfect complement to Friedman's funny and endearing story.
Recent blog posts
- German Story Time at Broadway is Back!
- Pre-order a signed copy of S. A. Chakraborty's new book, "The Kingdom of Copper"
- Changing, Adjusting, Expanding: Conversation On The Art Of Translation With Author & Translator Kate Briggs
- Q&A with translator Ellen Cassedy
- #WiTM Spotlight with Lynne Sharon Schwartz
- Perfect Books for Your Brewery Crawl!
- August is Women in Translation Month!
- Author Q&A with Michiko Kakutani
- Order your Signed Copy of Eloisa James's Born to be Wilde!
- Kids Books To Celebrate LGBTQ Pride