Q&A with Diana Wagman, author of the new "Extraordinary October"
Diana Wagman, author of the soon-to-be-released young adult novel, Extraordinary October, sat down for a Q&A. She spoke with us about this exciting new novel - make sure to pick up your very own copy on October 18th!
1. How did you come to write Extraordinary October?
It was my daughter’s idea. She was so horribly teased in elementary school for her deep belief in fairies and magical creatures, but she persisted. It was admirable. When she was 14 she said to me, “Remember how awful those kids were to me? Wouldn’t it be great if I could turn into a fairy now and show them?” That was the beginning.
2. What are you currently reading?
3. Do you have a personal favorite book of all time? If so, can you share it and tell us why?
I read and reread The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. It’s romantic, but not in a happy way, and it’s so much about a woman struggling for her freedom. The end kills me. I know it’s coming and I cry every time anyway.
4. Is there anything you are particularly looking forward to the publication of?
The unpublished stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald, I’d Die for You. Great title and it’s also great that a lot of these stories were submitted and rejected! It’s fascinating to see a wonderful writer’s rejected work. It means it happens to all of us.
5. What’s next? Any upcoming book projects in the works that you can tell us about?
I’m writing a book about a dog catcher. She goes out to pick up a dead dog by the side of the road and finds a dead body. I’ve been spending way too much time at my local SPCA.
Recent blog posts
- German Story Time at Broadway is Back!
- Pre-order a signed copy of S. A. Chakraborty's new book, "The Kingdom of Copper"
- Changing, Adjusting, Expanding: Conversation On The Art Of Translation With Author & Translator Kate Briggs
- Q&A with translator Ellen Cassedy
- #WiTM Spotlight with Lynne Sharon Schwartz
- Perfect Books for Your Brewery Crawl!
- August is Women in Translation Month!
- Author Q&A with Michiko Kakutani
- Order your Signed Copy of Eloisa James's Born to be Wilde!
- Kids Books To Celebrate LGBTQ Pride