Principles of Neural Science (Hardcover)
The gold standard of neuroscience texts―updated with hundreds of brand-new images and fully revised content in every chapter
Doody's Core Titles for 2021 For more than 40 years, Principles of Neural Science has helped readers understand the link between the human brain and behavior. As the renowned text has shown, all behavior is an expression of neural activity and the future of both clinical neurology and psychiatry is dependent on the progress of neural science. Fully updated, this sixth edition of the landmark reference reflects the latest research, clinical perspectives, and advances in the field. It offers an unparalleled perspective on the the current state and future of neural science.
This new edition features:
- Unmatched coverage of how the nerves, brain, and mind function
- NEW chapters on:
- The Computational Bases of Neural Circuits that Mediate Behavior
- Brain-Machine Interfaces
- Decision-Making and Consciousness
- NEW section on the neuroscientific principles underlying the disorders of the nervous system
- Expanded coverage of the different forms of human memory
- Highly detailed chapters on stroke, Parkinson's disease, and multiple sclerosis
- 2,200 images, including 300 new color illustrations, diagrams, radiology studies, and PET scans
About the Author
Eric R. Kandel, MD, is University Professor and Kavli Professor of Brain Science, and Codirector of Columbia University's Zuckerman Institute; and Senior Investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. He is the recipient of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his research on the physiological basis of memory storage in neurons. Steven A. Siegelbaum, PhD, is Gerald D. Fischbach, M.D. Professor of Neuroscience; Professor of Pharmacology; Chair of the Department of Neuroscience; and Principle Investigator at Columbia University's Zuckerman Institute. Sarah H. Mack (deceased) was a gifted artist with a deep understanding and appreciation of neuroscience. Co-editor of Principles of Neural Science, Sixth Edition, she directed the art program for the book for more than thirty years. John Koester, PhD, is Professor Emeritus of Clinical Neuroscience and Psychiatry at Columbia University.