Diabetes Head to Toe: Everything You Need to Know about Diagnosis, Treatment, and Living with Diabetes (Johns Hopkins Press Health Books) (Hardcover)
Diabetes Head to Toe is an invaluable resource for anyone living with diabetes. It includes everything you should know about the disease--straight from the experts. The authors, all doctors who specialize in diabetes care, offer simple explanations and essential advice on all things diabetes.
Accessible and concise, Diabetes Head to Toe presents information at a glance, with conversational prose and easy-to-digest bullet points. Each chapter begins with a short introduction and includes helpful sections on "What You Need to Know" and "What Does It All Mean?" Other notable features include "Tips," "Myths and Facts," and frequently asked questions. In addition to defining medical concepts in everyday language while tackling core topics, such as patient dietary needs and lifestyle changes, this book contains unique coverage of
- how to prevent and diagnose diabetes
- the many complications--head to toe--that people with diabetes can develop
- diabetes in diverse populations, including children and adults
- new treatments for diabetes and how they work
- common interactions between diabetes medications and other drugs
- medical conditions that occur more frequently in people with diabetes, including eye disease, heart disease, kidney problems, depression, nerve damage, and sexual problems
- cutting-edge diabetes technologies and the costs, benefits, and limitations of various devices
- legal considerations that everyone with diabetes should keep in mind
More than 50 illustrations illuminate key points, while a two-color format allows readers to quickly identify the information they are seeking. Aimed at people with diabetes, family members, teachers, physicians, nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, specialists, and anyone else who cares about the health of diabetes patients, this up-to-date book will help readers recognize the early warning signs before diabetes-related difficulties arise, ensuring a long, healthy life. Silver Winner of the 2019 Benjamin Franklin Awards (Health & Fitness) of the Independent Book Publishers Association.
About the Author
Rita R. Kalyani, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine and a diabetes specialist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is the past chair of the American Diabetes Association's committee that establishes the standards of medical care for all people with diabetes. Mark D. Corriere, MD, is an adjunct assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a clinical endocrinologist at Maryland Endocrine. Thomas W. Donner, MD, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the director of the Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Diabetes Center. Michael W. Quartuccio, MD, is an adjunct assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a clinical endocrinologist in the Rochester Regional Health System.