Moon New York State: Getaway Ideas, Road Trips, Local Spots (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
From museum-hopping in the Hudson Valley to hiking the hills upstate, discover the New York you don't know with Moon New York State. Inside you'll find:
- Strategic itineraries ranging from a two-week road trip to weekend getaways from the city, with ideas for art-lovers, foodies, outdoor enthusiasts, foliage-seekers, and more
- Day trips from New York City to Long Island, the Hudson Valley, and the Catskills
- The top sights and unique experiences: Explore the charming riverside towns of the Hudson Valley on a brewery trail, sample local wine and cheese upstate, or relax on the beaches of Montauk. Hike to a spectacular sunrise in the Catskills, kayak on the Finger Lakes, and peep the vibrant changing leaves in the Adirondacks. Browse the quirky boutiques of Lower Manhattan, stroll the High Line, and savor skyline views with a nightcap in hand at a rooftop bar
- Honest advice from native New Yorker Julie Schwietert Collazo on when to go, where to stay, and how to get around
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the history, culture, and geography of the state
- Recommendations for families, LGBTQ travelers, seniors, international visitors, and travelers with disabilities
Want to experience NYC like a local? Check out Moon New York City.
About the Author
Like most New Yorkers, Julie Schwietert Collazo took a long time to discover the state beyond "the city so nice they named it twice." When she finally started exploring beyond the five boroughs while on assignment for the BBC, she discovered just how much of America's history can be traced back to New York. She also realized how incredibly diverse the state is, both culturally and geographically. From the Amish country in western New York to the watery Thousand Islands, New York State has so much for travelers to discover.
Together, Julie and her husband, Cuban-born photographer Francisco Collazo, have published work in TIME, Discover, National Geographic Traveler, Scientific American, and numerous other publications. They live in Long Island City with their two children, who both got their passports at one month of age and are accustomed to being packed up and buckled into the seat of a car, plane, or train at a moment's notice.