Math Mammoth Grade 1-A Worktext (Canadian Version) (Light Blue) (Paperback)
Math Mammoth Grade 1-A worktext (Canadian version) is the student book for the first half of grade 1 mathematics. It covers addition within 0-10, subtraction within 0-10, and place value with two-digit numbers. The worktext contains both the necessary instruction and the problems & exercises, and is fairly self-teaching. Please note this is a student worktext and does not contain answers.
Features of the curriculum:
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so your children can understand the math, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates fairly long on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic too much.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental math and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation, which is a big benefit to most teachers/parents.: )
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted. The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly to the student in the worktext, and there also exist accompanying videos where you can see Maria herself teach the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations, and further practice.
- For addition and subtraction facts, you can use our online practice program (free). Visit the pages for Single-digit Addition Facts online practice and Fact Families online practice
This Canadian version of the 1-A worktext is essentially the same as the U.S. version, but is customised for Canadian audiences in these aspects:
- The spelling conforms to British international standards (British English).
- Page (paper) size is Letter.